Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Planting a Garden


Big thanks to Jenny for helping me out in the back yard today! We dug up a place for a raspberry patch and then she rototilled it and another large patch by the house (go, Wonder Woman!). Ryan had a fabulous time digging around in the dirt and then helping Jen spread fertilizer. The babies both enjoyed the sunshine.

So, I really know nothing about gardening (although I have planted bulbs that have now come up successfully two years in a row). In fact, my track record is pretty bad when it comes to plants. But I've decided that the effort is still worth it. As Nate's mom says, nothing is impossible, so I figure I'll keep trying until I figure it out.

I also decided there are a lot of reasons that I want to garden:
  1. It's excellent exercise! I am definitely getting definition in my arms and legs from digging, squatting, etc.
  2. It is a great excuse to get me and the kids outside.
  3. I really want my kids to know where some of the food they eat comes from.
  4. I'd like to be able to grow and preserve some of my own food, partly for self-sufficiency and partly for the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes from doing it (I'd assume).
  5. There is a lot of value in doing things that take time: they teach patience, perseverance, and planning.
  6. I'm trying to constantly learn how to do new things. I figure I am only going to grow a few things this year, and if I figure them out (at least enough to not kill them), then we'll add more next year. :D
So I'm getting excited. Here's to a happy growing season!

4 comments:

Englishfam said...

I planted a garden last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. I got so many tomatoes I didn't know what to do with them all. Note to self: don't plant 6 tomatoes plants again!! You only need 2! But it did make for canned tomatoes which I am so proud to show off to whoever will look. :) Good for you, you will really love the end product. I hope everything grows good for you. Trial and error right?

Miss Megan said...

Marie-I LOVE gardening. If you want I can bring over lots of starts for you so you don't have to pay for them. I have raspberry bushes, strawberry plants, flowers, bulbs, herbs, etc. Just tell me what you want and I will bring some over. It's so much cheaper to share! (It's how I got most of my own garden going)! I LOVE being in my garden. It is so therapeutic.

Nate said...

I agree that it's great to share. Thank you for offering, I'm sure Marie will love it.

And Heather.. I have to make a correction to your post.. in my mind you would only need one tomato plant. ;) (and even that's too much)

I'm really proud of Marie.. she said she wanted to do it, and she's learning! I look forward to sharing the "fruits" of her labors. ;)

Nate

Nate said...

Megan, I am totally going to take you up on your offer. We'll totally have to chat about what you have (and if I have anything that you want, I'm more than willing to share!).

I am so excited!! And terrified!! But that's okay. :D Heather and Megan, I was so impressed with both of you last year. Here's to hoping I too can achieve greatness. :D