Monday, July 27, 2009

In Memoriam: Arlene Mickelsen Waters 1936-2009

(Thanks to Lauren for the picture.)
My dear Aunt Arlene died yesterday after a short battle with cancer (she was diagnosed just over a month ago). I haven't yet written my post about my anchors in Christ, but Arlene was one of them. She is one of the most wonderful people I have ever known. She had the patience of Job in caring for my grandmother. Her marriage was long, deep, and truly unifying. Her love for her family and for the Savior was evident in everything she did. Nate and I have often said that Arlene and Ted are who we want to be like when we grow up. She blessed us with her hospitality, generosity, care, and devotion.

For her sake, I am glad that she did not have to suffer long and that she has returned to her Savior and loved ones. For myself, I am grateful to have had her in my life, and especially to have gotten to know her much better in the last few years. I will sorely miss her, but I hope to eventually become the kind of person that she was.

6 comments:

Englishfam said...

What a great tribute Marie. She seemed like quite an incredible woman. I hope you are doing okay, it is hard to lose someone close to you. You will be in my prayers! :)

Lindsay Duerden said...

Marie, this really is a very sweet post. She really sounds like an amazing person. I love you so much and I hope that you and your family are doing well and that everything is going fine in Las Vegas. You're in my mind and heart.

Lorilee said...

Hey girl. It was awesome to see you and your sweet little family in Vegas. Seriously you have the cutest kids. You were so geat to go down and help before Arlene passed away and I just want to tell you how great you are. You are such an amazing, beautiful, giving person and I am pretty glad that we are family. Love your guts.

Miss Megan said...

She looks like someone I could spend time with. A very sweet tribute, and I'm glad you're back in Utah again. You are such a good niece!

The Gaineys said...

What a sweet tribute. A simple thank you just doesn't seem sufficient enough for all you and your family did for us. Please know how much we do appreciate everything you all did. Thanks for being there for us. I'm so glad we're related!
Love you all.

Bob and Tami said...

Knowing Mom she would wonder what the big deal was. She would say that she just always tried to do her best and I guess that is the lesson to be learned. Always try to do your best. Love ya Marie and thank you for everything. Tami