Saturday, January 31, 2009

Five courses later . . .


Tonight Nate and I threw a "Fancypants dinner" for some of our friends as a belated Christmas gift. I don't have any pictures (I totally spaced it!), but we went to Mom and Dad Burt's house and brought over our china and silver (we haven't used it in almost six years, so I thought we should break it out again). Mom put together a beautiful centerpiece with angels and candles, and she and Dad did all the serving and plating. They were amazing. Thanks to them and Nate for their help.

I did almost all the cooking and spent the better part of two days doing it. And though it was all eaten within an hour, I enjoyed getting dressed up, leaving the kids at home, and having some great food and adult (and some not-so-adult) conversation. :D Below are the courses:

Appetizer: Poppers (I had avocado and bacon deviled eggs planned, but the eggs ended up not cooked enough . . . so thank you, Nate, for bailing me out).
Soup: Ginger pumpkin (finally got to use the pumpkin that we bought to make Ryan a jack-o-lantern; I really am behind)
Salad: Pear, almond, feta, and bacon on greens with berry vinaigrette
Entree: Chicken Teresa (with a balsamic orange sauce), caramelized onions, mushroom rice pilaf, and broiled zucchini with asiago
Breads: Sourdough wheat and banana
Dessert: Lemon-lime sorbet
Drink: Cranberry mango punch

Thanks to everyone who came and made it a wonderful night!

Food for thought: "Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love." Craig Clairborne

5 comments:

Nate said...

It really was a great meal! Thank you Marie for all the work you put in to it. I thought it was all worth it, I hope you did too!

And thank you to everyone who joined us tonight. It was a lot of fun!

Allie said...

What a fun idea! Sure with you had pictures though...

Lindsay Duerden said...

Marie, it really was a very amazing meal. I thought it was very kind of you to invite me and Warren. You always amaze me with all of your talents and your sweetness. Thank you again Marie!

Jordan and Jandee said...

sounds delicious! what a fun tradition.

Miss Megan said...

Dinner was simply amazing! Thank you for including us on your guest list. I think my favorites of the night were the drink, Chicken Teresa and zucchini with cheese. It was seriously the most deliciously prepared zucchini I have ever had! I can tell you went to a lot of hard work, and the presentation was flawless. Thanks again for all you do! Muaaah!