Sunday, April 15, 2007

Five Random Things

My friend Megan did a post like this, and I ended up learning a lot, so I thought I’d take a stab at it too! Here are five random things that you may or may not know about me.

1. Names are both interesting and important to me. My first name is actually Elizabeth, but I’ve never been called it; my parents liked the sound of Elizabeth Marie better than Marie Elizabeth, but they always planned on calling me Marie. My brothers and I each have a family name. I was named after my mom’s sister Elizabeth (not my grandmother, whose first name also was Elizabeth). My older brother’s is Laurence after Mom’s brother, and my younger one’s is Joseph after Joseph J. Daynes, my great-great-grandfather who was also the first Tabernacle organist. All of our children will more than likely have family names. Ryan’s middle name is Woodruff after another great-great-grandfather, Wilford Woodruff. Our next boy will be Alexander Reese (Reese is my father-in-law’s middle name). Of course, we haven’t picked a girl’s name yet, so I don’t know about that.

2. I used to think I was born in the wrong era; when I was younger, I was fascinated with both World War II and the civil rights movement. I used to read a lot of what Martin Luther King wrote, and when I was 15, I attended a march on Washington D.C. that commemorated the 30th anniversary of the one when Martin Luther King gave his “I Have a Dream” speech. Racial diversity and harmony is really important to me, and I’m so glad that my family embodies it. Between my dad and mom’s sides of the family, I am related to Mexicans, Navajos, Tongans, Asians, and, now that one of my cousins is in the process of adopting two children, Ethiopians. I love that at my uncle’s funeral, there was a traditional Tongan ceremony and that everyone has always been accepted without question.

3. I might as well come out of the closet—I’m a tree hugger. From the time I was a little girl, I remember watching the Earth Day TV specials and thinking how important it was to take care of the planet. Now that I’m older, I still believe firmly that we are the stewards of this planet and that at some point we will be called to account for how we handled that stewardship. I’m pleased to say that Nate and I are trying to do our parts. We recycle almost twice as much as we throw away. I bike to do a lot of my errands (which is also valuable exercise for me and a lot of fun). We have tried to buy Energy Star appliances and look for other ways to conserve energy. And I’m probably going to start a compost heap soon. Oh, and I also learned a few years ago that Nate and I were married on Earth Day. It wasn’t intentional, but I’m quite pleased with the fact now that I know.

4. I love to travel, and my favorite way to do it is to live in a place for a month or more to really get to know the people, customs, and place better. My first foray into this kind of travel was in high school. I nagged my father into supervising BYU’s Washington D.C. program for a semester. I loved it!! We spent every weekend going to historical sites or being at the Smithsonian (I had the luxury of getting to read every plaque of a number of the exhibits at the Museum of American History—sooo fun!). When I was 19, I went to a village called Nealtican in Puebla, Mexico, to teach literacy. I was able to get to know and love the Mexican culture, as well as see Mayan and Aztec ruins and beautiful cathedrals and eat absolutely amazing food (popsicles made out of fresh fruit and water, an amazing chocolate-chile-nut sauce called mole poblano, corn on a stick smothered in cheese, cream, and chile, fried bananas with evaporated milk and chocolate, I could go on and on). And then I was able to live in London twice, where I went to see a number of play, visited a number of parks, spent some serious time in Stratford-upon-Avon, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, and Chichester. I loved being able to get to know London so well and walk all over visiting historic sites and museums.

5. Last thing. I don’t normally consider myself a “crafty” person, but I really enjoy cross-stitching. I first did it in third grade, but then I stopped doing it until middle school when I did a number of projects. I got too busy in high school, so I didn’t start cross-stitching again until I got married. Since then, I’ve done a number of projects that I’m quite pleased with: baby afghans, curtains, samplers and other pictures, ornaments, and a stocking for Nate, which I finished stitching but still need to sew together. I stopped after Ryan was born, but I hope to get back into it. In the meantime, I have picked up knitting and crocheting because they don’t require as much intense concentration or exactness. :D

2 comments:

Miss Megan said...

Marie-

First of all, let me just say it was really nice seeing you today! We always have so much to talk about, it seems like we never have enough time! Definitely need to do it again soon.

Ok...so this was a great 5 random things! I love the name Elizabeth, it's one of my all-time favorites. And as I mentioned before, it's also the name of the greatest literary heroine of all-time.

I didn't know you marched on Washington, but can't say I'm too surprised?! Interesting.

I knew that you cross-stitched and crocheted, but I have yet to see your work for myself. I bet it's good. Next time we get together, you need to show me.

I'm proud of you for coming out of the closet. Tree huggers rule the world! It's all about "An Inconvenient Truth". Global warming is a reality people! Ha ha. OK, I'll get off my soapbox. It is YOUR blog after all!

And of course one of the many reasons I love you is your passion for all things England. Where would we be without Austen, Shakespeare and fish & chips? I'm sure Heather will agree with me on this point.

Love ya babe!

Englishfam said...

Great job! It takes a while to gather all your thoughts and actually put them all down, I know!

I also love the name Elizabeth, it's a classic. I agree that names are very important. In my blog I made it sound like if it was cute to write that was it, but really I am very picky about names and also use family names for middle names. Carter's is James and Preston's is William after James' grandfather.

I am not sure if I told you this already, but I was born in Maryland and lived there until I was 8. So I have a special place in my heart for the East and especially the D.C. area. Isn't it amazing all the history that is everywhere?

I am a fellow knitter and can cross stitch too but it is too tedious for me. My hat is off to you in that regard! I am interested to see some of the work you have done.

I definitely think there is nothing wrong with being a tree hugger! Go recycling! I try my best, I could definitely do better.

And finally, YES i agree with you and Megan, England is the greatest! Another place where history is all around you. That is so neat you got to live in Mexico. Man that food sounded good...know any of the recipes? :)