Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Ryan's New Bed

We bought Ryan a toddler bed yesterday. I probably would have waited a little while, but I found it used for a really good deal. Ryan was sooo excited when he figured out it was a bed for him that I thought maybe we should have him sleep in it. (We don't want Ryan to feel displaced when the baby takes the crib, so we wanted him to get used to this change now.)

These pictures are from before we mentioned bedtime last night.


Nate mentioned later that these pictures are such a lie because as soon as we mentioned bedtime, he started sobbing uncontrollably and his face went all red. I sang to him for a few minutes to try to calm him down and he eventually fell asleep.

Today was even better. I had to close the door for his naptime, but he stopped crying after about 5 minutes and fell alseep on the bed. Tonight after we closed the door, he sang himself to sleep in about 3 minutes.

Hopefully, he will soon be happy and adjusted to the new change.

4 comments:

Englishfam said...

You are brave-Carter is still in his crib! My sister just gave me her crib before Preston was born so I have two now. We moved Carter into a different room about 2 months before he was born to let him adjust and he did great. Good for you taking initiative when you are pregnant! How is he doing with it?

Marie said...

Well, we established a new bedtime routine. After prayer, we sing him a few songs with the light off and then we close the door. He cries for a couple of minutes and then tucks himself back into bed and goes to sleep.

We also found out that if we keep the door closed all night he sleeps longer (he started waking up at 5:30 with Nate, even though he was exhausted).

I have faith that after a couple of weeks he'll be used to the bed enough that he'll look forward to bedtime like did before. I heard him singing to himself in bed two nights ago instead of crying, so I have high hopes. :D

Miss Megan said...

Yeah the blog is addicting, huh? I was going to post a comment on here earlier, but forgot. Ryan is soo cute in his little bed. You're such a good mom, Marie! Call us soon!

Marie said...

Well, Ryan has officially gone to bed three nights in a row without crying. In fact, tonight he seemed excited to go to bed, diving for the bed. And after singing to him, he waved goodbye to us and made no move to leave.

Gotta say, I'm a firm believer in setting a routine -- it helps sooo much. I figure we'll have to go through this again when the baby is born, and it will probably be more difficult because of the emotional element, but that's okay . . . we'll stick to or revise the routine and do it again. :)