Sunday, August 5, 2007

Christianity in Harry Potter

There has long been a question about whether or not Harry Potter is meant to be a Christ figure. Many ultraconservatives who are convinced the books are evil laugh at the idea. Orson Scott Card has posted a number of blogs on Beliefnet.com about this subject, contending that while Harry is not a Christ figure, he represents a moral universe.

Rowling is certainly no C.S. Lewis, who made his stories allegorical in order to make the Christian story easier to understand and relate to. She is more like Tolkein, whose stories were highly influenced by British folklore and culture, which is also influenced by the Christian story, although she is not a theologian like Tolkein was.

Harry Potter is certainly its own story, not an allegory to illustrate the Christ story. But there are certainly parallels that are impossible to ignore--that are given greater power because they are at least reminiscent of the Christian story.

***Spoiler Alert***
For example, Harry walks to his own death, makes a willing sacrifice of himself to save everyone else. He does so at the behest of his spiritual father figure, Dumbledore, who he then meets in "King's Cross" and has a conversation with (according to Newsweek) " a father figure with 'long sliver hair and a beard' whose supernatural powers are accompanied by a profound message of love." And then, whether or not Harry was actually dead, he appears to come back to life to finally defeat evil.

Every culture has myriad stories of good vs. evil, so it is only natural to look for parallels with our greatest good vs. evil story. However, I still enjoy looking for some of them, especially because Harry is more like the rest of us. I especially appreciate the intimate relationship between Harry and Dumbledore--while both are mortal, it is a good reminder of what we can try to make our relationship with our Heavenly Father like. And the story is an inspiration to struggle against evil in our own lives, especially through unity with those around us. :D

3 comments:

Nate said...

I liked this post. I agree that Harry Potter isn't an allegory. But I also think there is a lot that you can use from the world of Harry Potter to make it easier to relate to certain aspects of the gospel.

For example, Voldemort had amazing power and strength. Dumbledore was also strong, but it wasn't strength that led to victory. It was heart. It was being willing to love his enemy that allowed Harry to survive and prevail in the end.

In this world it appears that evil has overwhelming strength. There are righteous people who are strong, and there will be fighting. But in the end it is the Savior who will come and end war and conflict. It doesn't say that he will come and defeat everyone, but that everyone will have to acknowledge him as the Savior.

Anyway, it's just something to think about.

Miss Megan said...

I love finding hidden messages and meanings in movies, books, etc. Like I mentioned on Saturday, I like a story that I feel I can relate to in some way. That is what makes it interesting to me.

Mike and I just finished reading "Lion, Witch, Wardrobe". It was Mike's first time, and my second. It's strange to revisit something that I read from my childhood (most of which went straight over my head). As a girl I just liked the story, and the magic of it all. As an adult the impact of Aslan's sacrifice, the crucifixion at the stone table, followed by his resurrection held a new meaning for me. I have a deeper appreciation for C.S. Lewis.

It's the same when I read LOTR, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.

Marie said...

The first time I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I was in third grade and had no idea that it was an allegory; to me, it was just a really good story. So I was extremely surprised in 1999 when I saw the Royal Shakespeare Company perform it on stage--I was blown away by the Atonement/Crucifixion at the stone table and sat in my seat sobbing because it was so powerful to me.

Just like we need to relate the scriptures to us to get their full impact, I believe that there are many works of fiction that will help us to understand the scriptures and the Savior more fully.