Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Shakespeare Related Things

Tomorrow my family makes its annual summer trip to Cedar City for the Utah Shakespearean Festival. In honor of this beloved event, I decided to write my five favorite Shakespeare-related books/plays/movies (with two honorable mentions). Next week, I'll write my reviews of the plays and have pictures from my subsequent trip to San Diego!

Honorable Mentions:
Shakespeare in Love
To Be or Not To Be

I've seen both movies only once and like them both. I'm sure you all know Shakespeare in Love better than I (I generally can't remember a movie plot five days after I saw it), and the other starred Carole Lombard and Jack Benny as heads of a Jewish theatrical troupe performing Hamlet while trying to escape the Nazis.

#5. 10 Things I Hate about You
Yes, the movie is somewhat cheesy, but I've seen it a number of times, and it captures the idea of Shakespeare better than most of its teenybopper counterparts (almost as well as Cluesless captures Emma). I like Julia Stiles, and it was one of the first things I had seen Heath Ledger in. And I still find myself laughing and appreciating Taming of the Shrew each time I see the movie.

#4. March Tale
This play was written by Tim Slover, originally a professor at BYU and now at the U. It tells the story of Shakespeare's troupe going to perform Merry Wives of Windsor for a dying Queen Elizabeth and getting themselves into Elizabethan plots and high hijinks. I actually saw this play in one of its first readings/writings at the Shakespeare Festival and then again at BYU after Tim rewrote it a little bit. It has since won several awards and the rights have been purchased to make a movie with Tim writing the screenplay (I hope it happens!).

#3. The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged)
This is a very fun play that manages to do at least snippets from every single play. The better you know the plays, the funnier it is, but anyone can appreciate the history plays performed as a football game or a rap version of Othello.

#2. The Eyre Affair
Actually, every novel by Jasper Fforde contains at least some allusions to the Bard of Avon, but my favorite is in this book. Thursday Next, the heroine, goes to a performance of Richard III that is much like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience completely participates, shouting out things, providing props, and even getting involved in the final battle at the end. (What a fantastic idea!! It would be exciting to live in a world that loved Shakespeare that much!)

#1. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
My all-time favorite Shakespeare-related play is this one. I have seen it a number of times (including the movie version, though I wouldn't recommend it). The first time, though, probably had the greatest impact. All the tickets were sold out at BYU, but my dad happened to know the director (his wife had babysat Warren when we lived in Indiana), so he let the two of us sit up in the catwalks behind the spotlights. The stage was almost completely bare, so the characters and the words came alive. It's a great romp through existentialist thought and Hamlet, written by one of the world's finest playwrights, Tom Stoppard.

10 comments:

Englishfam said...

Marie I love reading your fun lists! I have to admit that I am not very knowledgable on the subject of Shakespeare, but I do love the plays I know. I must admit that I was quite excited when I saw that you had 10 things I hate about you on the list because I really do like that cheesy movie! It made me feel validated that a real Shakespeare nut likes it too! :) I hope you have a great time in Cedar City and San Diego! Man I am jealous!

NutMeg said...

Were we separated at birth?

I loved your list, and I agreed with MOST of the things.

For me, "Shakespeare in Love" would definitely have to be more than just an honorable mention. I loved that it so totally captured the essence of the bard and England during that time. The bawdiness, the theater, Elizabeth, and of course, love. While there are several snippets and references to some of his plays, "Romeo and Juliet" features prominently. Gwyneth Paltrow and Judi Dench deservedly earned their Oscars for that one, and surprisingly it's one of Ben Affleck's best roles ever. I've probably seen this movie a hundred times.

I also loved "The Eyre Affair", thank you so much for sharing it with me! I agree, the scene where she goes to the theater to see "Richard III" was one of the highlights of the book.

Some of my other favorite Shakespeare movies are "Much Ado About Nothing" which I have already elaborated on (top 10 movies), as well as both versions of "Romeo and Juliet"--yes even the Leonardo DiCaprio version, because I feel like Shakespeare's words transcend time itself. I also love "Taming of the Shrew" starring Marc Singer. I had a college professor introduce it to me, and I thought it was INCREDIBLY well-done. I guess I need to pick up a copy of that one.

My favorite play to see live however, will still have to be "The Merchant of Venice". I love the story, the characters, especially Shylock and Portia (If I have a daughter, that will be her name!). She is such a strong female protagonist, who uses her wits to solve all obstacles. It has everything: suspense, romance, comedy and forgiveness.

One more honorable mention for me would be Stratford-on-Avon. What a city! I thought it was so beautiful, and visiting there really helped Shakespeare come alive for me. Definitely a highlight of my trip to England. P.S. Don't forget to check my cupcake chowder for my favorite "Shakespeare in Love" quote. You've inspired me!

NutMeg said...

Oh yes, and my wedding cake! How could I forget? I first heard Sonnet 116 from the movie, "Sense and Sensibility" and I LOVED it. My mom went out and bought a book of Shakespeare sonnets afterwards. I even memorized it and recited it for my high school drama class:

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove: O no! It is an ever fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken..."

*sigh*

Marie said...

Well, I have to agree that there are a lot of great Shakespeare movies (that'll be one of my next blogs!), but this list was just things that were related to Shakespeare without actually being Shakespeare.

I would have to include your wedding cake on my list, near the top actually. It was by far my favorite wedding cake EVER.

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]burtsoforem.blogspot.com is filled with quality info. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me show you one truth. Research presents that almost 80% of all USA adults are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)
--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/ купить фильмы
для сайта burtsoforem.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great blog post, been waiting for something like that!!!


glenny insurance brokers

Anonymous said...

I love burtsoforem.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards

Anonymous said...

Растаможка Киев, Одесса
Консультации ВЭД
Дима Литейный
logisticskiev7@yandex.ru
+38 093 318 1567