Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Campaign Slogans

By now, you know that I'm an Obama supporter, so this will no doubt be a biased reading, but I thought that by looking at campaign slogans of the remaining candidates might be interesting.

McCain: Ready to Lead on Day One
This slogan goes hand in hand with his repeated insistence that he has the most experience of all the candidates. However, it does little to inspire followers, and I can't really see people chanting it at a rally.

Huckabee: Faith. Family. Freedom.
This slogan speaks to his conservative core. It has great alliteration, which makes it easy to remember, and it lays out his priorities. All in all, it is a very good slogan, certainly the best from the Republicans.

Paul: Hope for America
This might belong to any of the candidates, but I'm most surprised that it belongs to him. Reading over his stand on the issues, his paranoia about government seems in direct contrast to his message of "hope." It is short and sweet but hardly a standout.

Clinton: Make History!
Clearly, she is appealing to those who are eager to elect a woman to the White House.
Not only that, but it would make history to have the first ex-President as First Gent. However, it would also make history to elect either Obama (the first black president) or McCain (the oldest president to take office). Additionally, it says little about how she would govern as much as about what it means if she's elected. All in all, I was disappointed with this slogan--it seems to speak more to those who vote their gender or who want the Clinton dynasty back.

Obama: Yes, We Can!
I know that he's my candidate, but I genuinely like his slogan. He has repeatedly asked voters to not only commit to helping him win the campaign but also to keep going to help make positive changes once he's elected. Michelle said in her speech here in Utah that voting for Barack is voting to become involved in our communities and our country. In fact, on his website, the header reads, "I'm asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington . . . but in yours." I like that his slogan is inclusive and reflects not only his positive approach to the campaign but also inspiring others to participate in campaigns, communities, and the entire country (the complete opposite of the isolationist tendencies of Paul).

What do you think about the slogans?

2 comments:

Miss Megan said...

I was listening to a debate on NPR yesterday on my way into work (so I wasn't able to hear all of it), but they were discussing the differences in approach that McCain, Clinton, and Obama have in campaigning. Obviously it was mostly about Clinton and Obama since McCain has sealed his status as front-runner for the Republican party.

It was interesting that they were able to put into words (which I have often been unable to articulate),that Hillary is more prose, and Barack is more poetry. They argued, "Which one would the American public rather be listening to?" All across the board, people responded better to Barack's speeches than to Hillary's.

They argued that Hillary had a chance to shine in New Hampshire after she won, but that her speech was dry, and failed to deliver.

Obama on the other hand, gave one of his best and most empowering speeches after he won South Carolina, and that many people were impressed with his eloquence and panache. (P.S. I love that word. I've been waiting to use it in a sentence all day). :)

Of course there were arguments that because her approach is the more pragmatic, that she would be the most qualified to run the country and she has a better plan. Someone else stated that even though Baracks approach is more poetic and hopeful, he has a plan that the public can appreciate and respond to as well.

As for myself, you know who I like the best. I need to return your book to you as well. I bought "Audacity of Hope" last week, and I hope to read it sometime soon. Call me sometime and we can discuss this at length...

Meg

Nate said...

Personally I can't see making my vote based on a candidate's slogan.

However, it is kind of indicative of their views on leadership.

Hillary's slogan indicates that she thinks that the goal is to get the job.. not necessarily what she does after she gets it. Although she'd argue that as the first woman president, everything she does would make history.

McCain's slogan indicates that he truly believes he is ready for the position. He believes that his experience qualifies him for the job, and he's ready to start.

Obama indicates that he is in touch with the people. He knows the things that people will respond to. I'm not saying he's only playing to the crowd. I'm saying he's sensitive to the views of the public.

Unfortunately I don't really believe in the politics of any of the candidates right now... so I have to figure out who to choose among the candidates.