Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting fit

So, I'm adding to my resolutions . . . I'm trying to get spiritually, financially, and physically fit. I decided that all of them are really important, and Nate's been very supportive.

To get more spiritually fit, I've just been redoubling my efforts to make sure that we're having Family Home Evening, family prayer, and family scripture study (challenging to say the least with both Ryan and Sofia) and to make sure that I'm doing everything I can for my calling as Webelos leader. I also want to go with Nate to the temple several times this year; kids seem to make it all the more difficult.

To get more physically fit, I switched to skim milk, I have been exercising using my balance ball or jogging tramp at least 5 times a week (to get active until I can break out the bike trailer and stroller this spring), and I'm trying to be better about getting proper sleep.

To become more financially fit, Nate and I were introduced to Dave Ramsey by a friend. We've been reading his book The Total Money Makeover, which gives step-by-step instructions on how to get out of debt and how to build wealth no matter what your income. We don't have a ton of debt, but it's about how to completely change your lifestyle to become financially independent and make wise decisions. Nate and I are planning to write out a budget tonight and start saving cash in envelopes for various things to ensure that we keep to the budget. Being faithful to our plan, we hope to have our house paid off in 10 years (give or take a year).

My brother, Warren, who has studied a lot about money and wants to become a financial planner, is a great cheerleader and has been very supportive, bringing us other things to read and giving us all sorts of suggestions.

So anyway, I figure if I write down these three fitness goals they're more real and I'll have to be accountable. :D

2 comments:

Miss Megan said...

Now you've got me interested in this book. Maybe you could do a blog about it when your done to highlight some of the key points? I think those are all great goals, especially the one about being physically fit. I'm working on that too. Nothing compares to looking and feeling your best. P.S. Yes, you need to read "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. It's not the greatest book ever written, but it is a lot of fun (brain candy). I'm really interested to see if you like it or not. You are more than welcome to borrow my copy.

Englishfam said...

I have read this book and loved it. It got my sister out of 50,000 dollars of debt in 18 months. (obviously self discipline did as well!)I obviously think that some of it is a little extreme, but "to live like nobody else you have to live like nobody else!"