Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Michelle Obama rally

Yes, I am a Democrat and an Obama supporter. So when Megan told me about Michelle Obama speaking in SLC on Monday, I knew I had to go. I wasn't sure how it work with taking the kids, but I figured that they did really well on Friday for four hours to see Pres. Hinckley, so they'd probably be okay for an hour or two for the rally.

We parked under the Salt Palace, so I didn't have to walk with the kids in the snow. Ryan was viewing this as an adventure. We had packed his backpack full of toys and goodies, so he carried it happily as we went up and down the elevators and escalators (I told him if he was good, I'd let him do all of the escalators in the convention center--and we did!).

When we first showed up to the room, right when the doors opened, there weren't many people there. I was really worried that Utah was going to give her a lousy showing. I shouldn't have been worried; by the time she came 45 minutes later, the room was completely filled.



We ended up sitting right behind a father and his two-year-old daughter, Joy. She and Ryan became fast friends. They played with her blocks, his coloring book, and they shared goldfish and oranges.



In fact, I was worried because they were running around when Michelle Obama started speaking (they chased each other around the Secret Service agent's legs for a minute).



She actually looked over at them though, and then she started talking about how "children like these" (pointing at Ryan and Joy) come to us so pure, so full of love and life, and about how we want to give them every opportunity and we have to think about the world that we want to give them. I was pleased.



2 comments:

Nate said...

I was ok with this whole thing until you started taking "propaganda" photos with my children. :)

Obviously Marie and I differ in our political views. We have a similar concept about where we want the country to go, but not how to get there.

But I'm glad you were able to go to the rally and support your candidate.

Nate

Miss Megan said...

Don't leave me in suspense! What did she say? What were some of the topics she discussed? I am dying of curiosity! And also slightly jealous. Wish I could have gotten work off to go...oh well. Maybe next time.