Monday, February 2, 2009

25 Random Things about Me

This was actually started by several people I know on Facebook, but I thought that I'd also post it here.
  1. I am a Hoosier (or was for the first 12 years of my life). Nothing takes me back like corn on the cob, covered bridges, basketball, or the Indy 500.
  2. I only met both of my grandfathers a couple of times, so I really don't have any clear memories of them, part of the reason I wanted my kids to live close to our parents.
  3. I love the Little House books and wish I could write books similar to those.
  4. One of my life goals is to sing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
  5. I love to travel. My favorite places I've been so far include lots of places in SoCal, San Francisco, Washington DC, Mexico City, Victoria, and England.But I'm always up for a trip anywhere.
  6. I taught Mexican women to read one summer in a village, an experience that reminded me how blessed I am and how much we have in common despite large barriers.
  7. I am constantly working on improving my bad temper.
  8. Though I've lived in Utah for 16 years, I have never been downhill skiing (although I'll be remedying that soon).
  9. I love to cross-stitch, but I stopped doing it in middle school and didn't start again until after I got married.
  10. I really enjoy editing things; now if I could just get work again.
  11. I sat on a jury for a capital murder case when I was eight months pregnant with Ryan; it was absolutely fascinating and gut-wrenching.
  12. I am a total list person. I write lists about everything . . . and I find them all over the house, in my car, in my pockets. I lose my lists a lot too, so I end up rewriting them all the time. :D
  13. My jazz piano teacher in high school gave me one of the most helpful exercises I've ever done: she had me write out a list of 100 goals and told me that writing things down is the first step to accomplishing things. I ran across the list ten years later, and I was shocked at how many of them I had actually accomplished.
  14. I love to cook and read cookbooks for fun, though I didn't really start using recipes for anything but cookies until a couple of years ago.
  15. I used to have a CDL and drove tour buses in Juneau one summer.
  16. I have never hiked to the top of Mt. Timpanogos, although I hope to do it in the next summer or two.
  17. I love couponing; between clipping and watching sales, I've started saving a lot of money when I go grocery shopping.
  18. My favorite foods include sushi, stroganoff, soup, salads, and almost anything breakfast related.
  19. Growing up my heroes were Jesus, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King, Jr. I have many more heroes now, especially my two moms, who are amazing examples to me.
  20. I attended the 30th anniversary of MLK's March on Washington.
  21. I started reading when I was three, and I've never stopped. I especially love reading mysteries and biographies.
  22. My two kids are full of spitfire and energy, and I wouldn't have it any other way (though it is forcing me to work on my patience a bit).
  23. I am married to my best friend.
  24. I am named after my mom's sister, Elizabeth, who died before I was born.
  25. I am currently the Laurel advisor, which I think is one of the best callings in the world.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Wait... you have a temper?!


Thank you for posting this Marie. I actually already knew all this about you, but it's interesting to see what you chose to include on your list. That tells it's own story... :)