Friday, June 12, 2009

To Zoo or Not to Zoo


Tuesday the kids and I met Keri and Sadie at the Hogle Zoo. The kids had a great time (my kids were there for five hours!), and we still didn't see everything. It reminded me of a discussion that I had with a coworker once who told me she hated zoos because it is unnatural to keep animals in captivity like that. I've thought a lot about it, and I respectfully disagree.


I mean, I've been to zoos that have made me extremely sad for the animals in chainlink cages and an environment that is totally unsuited for them. However, most of the zoos I have been to have genuinely tried to provide appropriate living conditions, participated in coordinated breeding efforts, and have tried to educate the public not only about the animals themselves but our impact on the world around us.

Because of zoos, my kids love animals and have developed concern for their world. There are other ways to develop that, I know: hiking, camping, etc. I love to spend time outdoors, but the zoo allows them to see the animals up close.

So now we're proud members of the Hogle Zoo, and the kids are really excited for our next trip (me too)!The kids try to show how big they are.

Getting a drink out of the lion's head.

Ryan, Sofia, and Sadie make friends with a little tiger.

Greeting the bald eagle after the World of Flight show. Sofie was fascinated and kept telling the keeper, "That's a bird!"

3 comments:

Nate said...

Boy, Ryan can barely get his arms the width of the ape.. let alone match the ape's "wingspan."

I had to laugh at the picture of Ryan sitting on the elephant's trunk. Mostly because he kept telling me the story of how the elephant sneezed all over everyone.

I can also totally see Sofie saying "It's a bird" over and over! :)

Sorry I missed that trip.

Jennifer said...

Wow. No matter how many times you hear how big an eagle is you just don't get it until you are up close or have a comparison. Cool pics.

Lindsay Duerden said...

What a great post! It sounds like you had a blast! I can't wait to go with you guys and Warren (hopefully next week!).