Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Welcome to the garden!

So after months of planning and weeks of work on the new sprinklers, I finally put my garden in last night. First I started with Klay's truck full of topsoil (Nate won 2 cubic yards of it in a contest). I shoveled most of it out by myself to add to the garden, which looked like this before I started:



Nate helped me put in the drip system, and I was able to plant most of it last night. Ryan helped me plant some seeds in the rain this morning.

I found these beautiful flowers along with some lemon mint that actually survived from last year (this is a real surprise since I thought I killed all the herbs I planted).

Here are the trellises. So far we've planted a few winter squashes, zucchini, crookneck squash, watermelon, pumpkin, sunflowers, spinach, tomatoes, basil, peppers, strawberries, dill, parsley, and summer savory.
I'm still preparing the side and flower gardens with extra soil we have from the project, currently housed under the carport. Great motivation to get it finished. Anyway, I hope to share our bounty later in the season. :D

4 comments:

Nate said...

It's a lot of hard work, but I'm so happy that it seems to be coming together! :) Great job Marie!

Lindsay Duerden said...

Marie it looks great! I think you and your garden are amazing! You have done a phenomenal job. I am inspired by you.

Jordan and Jandee said...

Wow that garden is intense! Talk about elbow grease, but it looks lovely!

Greta Henricksen said...

so now that i know you can garden, you will have to help me get mine prepared this spring. we can take turns helping each other. :)