Saturday, March 31, 2007

My Favorite Disney Movie



I love a lot of Disney movies, and as far as animation and great stories go, almost no one can beat Pixar. However, we were watching a DVD today, and I was reminded of my very favorite animated movie—The Lion King. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I love it. So in no particular order, here are the many things I love about it.

1. So many great voices like Nathan Lane, Ernie Sabella, Rowan Atkinson, Robert Guillame, Jeremy Irons, Matthew Broderick . . . of course, no one can compare to James Earl Jones. His voice alone would make this my favorite.
2. I have always loved African music, and the partnership between Hans Zimmer and Lebo M (who also did The Power of One) produces some of my very favorite.
3. It emphasizes the circle and balance of life. That idea is so important, both in the natural world and in our own.
4. “Remember who you are.” Mufasa’s advice translates so well to real life; we need to remember who we are and where we have come from (and where we’re going) in order to make the very best choices we can.
5. I love the allusions to Hamlet on the savannah. The storyline of the uncle killing the father and son having to deal with the consequences is so classic and resonates through our great literature.
6. A couple of years ago, Nate and I were able to go see the musical based on the film. It includes more amazing music, and the combination of sophisticated puppetry, masks, and dance turn it into stage magic. I would definitely pay to go see it again.
7. The opening sequence/closing sequence is not only gorgeous, but beginning and ending it the same way also drives home the idea of life being an eternal round.
8. There is at least one homage to another film style: during the “Be Prepared” sequence, as the hyenas all march by Scar, there are a lot of techniques used from Nazi propaganda films. It creates the perfect feel for the scene.
9. I love that this movie was the underdog the year it was made. It was considered Disney’s B movie (the A movie was Pocahontas). In my opinion, it is so much better than Pocahontas. It’s always nice when such an underdog can do so well.
10. “He Lives in You” is a song not from the movie, but it was included in the musical. It talks about how Mufasa ‘s (and all the elders’) influence can be felt through everything. It has the same feel as the “remember who you are” sequence. We are not alone and we have a purpose.

What is your favorite Disney movie?

8 comments:

Miss Megan said...

You make a pretty good case for Lion King. It happens to be Mike's all-time favorite as well.

I like several Disney movies, but not for any other reason than the simple childhood nostalgia. My absolute #1 of all time is Peter Pan. As far as I'm concerned it has it all: pirates, flying, mermaids and of course London. We named our child after the story!

A close second is Beauty and the Beast. There is a reason it was nominated for Best Picture of the year. I love Angela Lansbury as the teapot; and her singing the theme song. Beauty should always be sought on the inside. I always felt like an outsider as a teenager, so I related to the heroine of this wonderful story.

My third choice would have to be Sleeping Beauty. There really are no other Disney movies that can compare to the fabulous illustrations in my opinion. Tchaikovsky's score is brilliant, and of course who can resist a damsel in distress? I still laugh every time I watch the fairies trying to bake a cake and sew a dress without their magic wands. Classic.

Marie said...

Yeah, my second favorite is definitely Beauty and the Beast also. I have always related well to Belle: the outsider who loves to read. And the illustrations, music, story, the message all make it timeless.

And my favorite prince was always Prince Philip (from Sleeping Beauty. I used to pretend to dance in the backyard with the animals in the clothes and then with Philip. :D

Nate said...

I have to agree with Marie. Pixar does a great movie! But if we have to exclude Pixar Movies (of which I'd say The Incredibles is probably my favorite), then I'd say my favorite Disney movie is probably the Lion King.

Interestingly enough, I'm gaining more of an appreciation for Disney movies as an adult; especially as a parent. Although, I still Bambi is still the second most boring movie ever made (ever seen Benji the Hunted?)

Marie said...

If you were to include Pixar . . . well, hands down, my favorite is Monsters Inc.. I still get all weepy at the end when Sully and Boo are reunited. But honestly, I have yet to meet a Pixar movie that I don't like. We own them all.

My favorite Pixar short is by far Geri's Game, the one about the man playing chess against himself. He's so expressive without saying anything, and the end always makes me laugh. It definitely deserved the Oscar. And I loved that they included Geri as the toy cleaner in Toy Story 2!

Miss Megan said...

Ok so throw the Pixar movies into the mix and it's a whole different ball game. My all-time favorite Pixar would have to be The Incredibles. I love the themes of family, mid-life crises and of course super powers.

Mike's favorite is Toy Story. He loves Tom Hanks, as well as the interaction between the toys. I should also make mention that if we are sticking to animated features, Mike also likes Aladdin and Peter Pan (after Lion King).

Of course you can't forget the live-action movies like Mary Poppins, Pollyanna and Swiss Family Robinson. Disney is the greatest!

Miss Megan said...

This was a great blog Marie!

Nate said...

Hey Megan,

You forgot one of the most important live-action Disney movies...

PETE'S DRAGON!

(Afterall.. didn't you name your son after Petey?)

Nate

Englishfam said...

I would have to say my alltime favorite is the Little Mermaid. I loved Ariel and of course all of her funny friends Sebastian, the seagull,flounder etc. I agree also with Megan with Beauty and the Beast. Heck I love them all!