Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Last Supper


A photographer named Melanie Dunea asked professional chefs from around the world to share what they would eat for their last meal, what they would drink, what the setting would be, who would be there, and who would prepare it. It's had me thinking about it all day. What would I want to eat? The easiest part is who I would want to eat it with--all my friends and family would be invited. Might as well make my last meal on earth into a party, right?

The setting could be anywhere, as long as people are willing to crowd in, but I guess in a perfect world it'd be nice to find some luxury cabin with picture windows and a stunning view of Yellowstone or a huge house right on the beach. I'd like to pitch in on the prep. I love to cook, and I really enjoy cooking with other people, so I think I'd want in the kitchen (or on the grill) anyone who wanted to help in the kitchen. And maybe hire a professional sushi chef for the night. There would be plenty of drinks: sparkling juices, fresh fruit lemonades (especially blueberry), cider, wassail, and hot chocolate.

Now the real question is what this perfect last meal would entail. I really think I'd like a buffet that has all of my favorite foods in it, so everybody else could have a taste and so that I could have a tiny bit of tons of things that I love. Yes, I'd have sushi; Dad's BBQ chicken; Nate's grilled salmon; sweet potatoes; salad with craisins, feta, and walnuts; stroganoff and rice; chili and cornbread; and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to munch on. For dessert, warm peach and apple pies, key lime pie, and brownies ala mode.

So now I want to know what your last supper would be. Feel free to be as detailed as you want!

2 comments:

Nate said...

Is it allowed to ask for a buffet? Isn't the whole point that you have to pick just one favorite (ok.. maybe two favorites... like a nice surf'n'turf platter.... Porterhouse steak and crab..mmmmm!)

But I do think you hit it on the head with it's not so important what we eat.. What's most important is who we're with. And to that end I'd enjoy my last meal the same way as you!

Nate

Miss Megan said...

I would eat with my family and friends too. I liked your smorgasbord of choices - I'd probably do the same. Maybe some steamed crab, a few bites of a medium-rare Filet Mignon, a delicious salad (like yours) with fruit and nuts. Some stuffed mushrooms, a tropical fruit smoothie and lost of other random goodies. Don't forget to throw in the peanut butter M&M's!