Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. --James E. Starrs

I love biking. Especially when I was in junior high and high school, I rode my bike everywhere. I started up again when we moved back to Utah a couple of years ago, buying a bike trailer to carry Ryan around in. I rode quite a lot last year until pregnancy really slowed me down in July. However, I've started biking again this year, and I'm in heaven!

I've decided to ride my bike as much as possible as long as I'm running errands, etc., around Provo and Orem. Between the health benefits, saving a lot on gas, and helping out the environment, I'm one happy camper. (Now that Sofia is getting used to the trailer--and a helmet twice as big as her head--the kids are enjoying it too!)

I don't mind that things take a little longer because it means that I have to plan when and where I go and I enjoy the chance to think. However, I am finding that, especially with an extra passenger in the trailer, I'm running out of cargo room. Plus I can't put too much weight in it for fear of having the bottom drop out (although you'd be surprised how much the little thing can carry).

Anyway, to make my bicycle truly capable of carrying everything that I need it to, I am going to extend it with an xtracycle attachment (see the picture above). The basic unit comes with a board that can support up to 200 pounds (which means carrying not just children, but adults as well) and bags that attach to it. Eventually, I will also get platforms to support wider loads (like multiple Costco boxes). And when Ryan is too tall for the trailer (at the rate he's growing, that will be next year), he can sit on the platform behind me.

I'm still saving up, but I'm getting really excited! I can't wait have my own Sport Utility Bicycle (as they say).

1 comment:

Englishfam said...

That bike looks amazing! Talk about a workout!! I have been a total nazi about using gas, I get a little ridiculous. But it is so expensive!! Way to go help the environment Marie, we all should be better.