Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness

A special thanks to the woman (Sharon?) who helped me out yesterday. I biked to Costco to pick up some diapers and a few other things . . . I had loaded the kids and groceries into the trailer when I discovered that the back wheel had completely separated from the frame. I tried to figure out what to do, but Sofia was screaming and I was at a complete loss. Originally, I planned to walk home with the kids to pick up the car and then come back for the groceries, which an employee was going to put in a cooler for me.

Sharon asked what she could do. I asked to borrow her phone to call Nate and tell him that I'd be really late for lunch. After she heard my plan, she offered to drive the kids, the groceries, and me home. We loaded everything up and were home very quickly. I left all my money in her van, so she came back and returned that too. It took so much stress off, especially since Sofia was ready for a nap and had just had it. I only hope that if I am in a similar situation that I can have the presence of mind to help someone else in just the way that they need it.

And a special thanks to Warren for then fixing my bike. I told him my adventure and without hesitation, he offered to go over to Costco with me, assessed the situation, and quickly fixed it. I don't know what I'd do without you!! (And Nate, I know you would have fixed it when you got home, but this way it was completely fixed before you got home, so I could make dinner and the family could eat before Webelos. :D)

3 comments:

Nate said...

I'm so glad she was there to help you. It's a relief for me to know that there are people out there who can take care of my family when I'm not available.

I remember one other time that you were helped by a stranger in your time of need. It was 2 am and you were driving to pick me up at work from the SWA Res Center. The Subaru broke down on the side of the road and some guy pulled over to help you. He drove you over to the res center and we went home with Matt and spent the night as his house.

Good times! :)

Marie said...

Yeah, I was really grateful to him. It was before we had cell phones and I had no way to get a hold of Nate . . . He ended up driving me from Bountiful out to the airport, which was way out of his way. I have been very blessed!

Unknown said...

first of all I am impressed that you ride your bike for a Costco trip, but I am so glad you were saved and the day turned out okay!